As children get a little older, they are able to recognize color names as well as the colors themselves. One way to practice this is with color word puzzles, where there are words and pictures for the color.
***This post includes Amazon affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.***
Color Word Puzzles
These puzzles, like the color word memory game, give children the opportunity to practice color and color word recognition in a fun way.
What Is Included
These printable puzzles include three piece puzzles for 11 different colors. One piece is the color word (written in that color) and the other two pieces are images in that color. The colors included are:
What You Will Need
If you have a computer with a printer, you can easily make these puzzles for your child today. Here are some things you will need and a few additional suggestions.
- Printer paper
- If you would like to make the puzzle pieces a little sturdier, you could use card stock paper
- If you would like to cut the pieces out faster, you could use a small paper cutter
- If you would like to make them really sturdy so they will last longer, you could laminate them using laminating pouches and a laminator
How to Use the Color Word Puzzles
You have very little to prepare in order for your child to be able to use the puzzles.
- Print out the puzzles.
- If you are only working on a few colors with your child, just print out those pages.
- Cut out the pieces for whatever colors you are working on.
- Have your child match the colored pictures to the correct color word by putting the three piece puzzles together.
How to Store the Color Word Puzzle Pieces
Once you have gone to the trouble of assembling this activity, you are not going to want to lose the pieces. You could store them in a Ziploc type bag or you could store them in an index card or photo storage case like this one. I love how you can organize so many different games!
To download this printable, simply click on the link below.