Reading is one of the most important skills a child can learn. Various methods have been used by teachers and parents over the years, but sight words, and sight word activities, have remained a constant. Because of that, you have probably heard your child’s teacher mention the Dolch sight word lists. The word list, which has been around for over 60 years, is still used by many elementary schools today. These Dolch sight word flash cards can help you help your child at home.
***This post includes Amazon affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.***
Dolch Sight Word Flash Cards
The Dolch word list was created by Edward William Dolch in 1936 and first published in 1948. It includes 220 words that have been determined to be a necessary part of reading fluency.
The words are divided into grade levels, based on the grade when they should be memorized. Remember, this was determined over 60 years ago and your child’s school may be using them differently!
The Dolch words are traditionally considered “sight words” (words that need to be memorized on sight), but many of them can actually be easily read phonetically (or “sounded out”). Either way, chances are your child will need to be familiar with these words.
What Is Included
This printable includes flash cards for all 220 traditional Dolch words. There are ten to a page. There is a flash card printable set for each level. They are different colors, to help you keep them organized.
What You Will Need
- Printer paper
- Another option is card stock paper if you would like them to be a little sturdier
- You could also use a small paper cutter if you would like to cut the cards out faster
- If you would like to make the flash cards even sturdier, you could glue them to construction paper after you cut them out.
- If you would like to make them REALLY sturdy so they will last longer, you could laminate them using laminating pouches and a laminator
How to Prepare the Flash Cards
Print out the pages of flash cards on printer paper or card stock paper.
Use scissors or a paper cutter to cut them out. You can print out every page or only the ones you need at the moment.
Glue them to construction paper and/or laminate. Again, this is completely up to you.
How to Use the Sight Word Flash Cards
Most of us have used flash cards at some point in our education. What you may not realize is that there are different ways to use them.
Traditional Flash Card Use
When most people think of flash cards they think of the traditional use. And this is a great way to use them with your child. Choose the words that your child is working on. Show your child a flash card and ask them to read the word.
Choose the words that your child is working on. Print out and prepare TWO SETS of the words. Play a memory game with your child, where they try to find the matching words.
If your child has been working on this skill, have them put words of your choosing in alphabetical order.
To download any of these printables, simply click on the links below.
- Pre-Primer Dolch Sight Word Flash Cards – Red Set
- Primer Dolch Sight Word Flash Cards – Orange Set
- First Grade Dolch Sight Word Flash Cards – Yellow Set
- Second Grade Dolch Sight Word Flash Cards – Green Set
- Third Grade Dolch Sight Word Flash Cards – Blue Set