Children love summer. Summer means pools, cookouts, and lots of fun. But there is still room for learning and memory games are a fun way to learn. This free printable summer clothing memory game would be a great way to practice concentration while you and your child talk about what we wear in the summer.
***This post includes affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.***
Summer Clothing Memory Game
This matching game is a great way for children to practice visual discrimination, concentration, attention to detail, and taking turns.
What Is Included
This printable memory game features 12 images of typical summer clothing. Some examples include:
- Short sleeved shirt
- Bathing suit
- Flip flops
There are two different size pieces included with this printable. You decide which size is best for your child to work with.
- All 12 images on one page (smaller game pieces)
- The 12 images on two pages, with six images to a page (larger game pieces)
What You Will Need
If you have a computer with a printer, you can create this game for your child today. Here are some things you will need and a few additional suggestions.
- Printer paper
- If you would like to make the game pieces a little sturdier, you could use card stock paper
- If you would like to cut the pieces out faster, you could use a small paper cutter
- With white paper, it can sometimes be easy to see through from the back. To make the game pieces impossible to see through, you could glue them to construction paper after you cut them out or print them out on scrapbook paper (the kind that is white on one side)
- If you would like to make them really sturdy so they will last longer, you could laminate them using laminating pouches and a laminator
How to Play the Summer Clothing Memory Game
- Print out two copies of the game pieces you want to use. You could use just the smaller pieces, just the larger pieces, or you could match large to small.
- Mix up the pieces and lay them face down on a flat surface. It helps to arrange them in a grid.
- Players take turns flipping over two pieces.
- If the pieces match, the player gets to keep them.
- Keep playing until all the matches have been made.
How Many Players Can Play the Game?
This is entirely up to you. Generally, 2-4 players would be just right. But there is no reason why a child couldn’t play alone to try to find all of the matches.
How Can You Modify the Game for Younger Children?
You can use fewer game pieces or you can even arrange all of the pieces face up to make it easier to find the matches.
Use the Pieces for Sorting Games
This printable was designed to be a traditional memory matching game for children. There are a few different ways that your child could sort the pieces if you print out both sizes.
They could sort the pieces by big and little (large and small). All of the summer clothing pictures are shown in both sizes.
They could sort by the colors that are in the clothing pictures.
They could even sort by clothing they wear and clothing they don’t wear.
How to Store the Summer Clothing Memory Game Pieces
Once you have gone to the trouble of assembling this game, you are not going to want to lose the pieces. You could store them in a Ziploc type bag or you could store them in an index card or photo storage case like this one. I love how you can organize so many different games! Just click on the photo for more information.
To download this printable, simply click on the link below.